For 60 years, people have relied on Purdue over-the-counter products for the treatment of occasional constipation (or irregularity). In 2002, Purdue acquired Colace® and Peri-Colace® to offer more options for treating occasional constipation. Additionally, in 2015, Purdue introduced Colace Clear Soft Gels, the first stool softener available that is dye-free and also gluten-free. (Other non-prescription medications for occasional constipation from Purdue include the Senokot® laxatives and Peri-Colace.)
Active Ingredient in Colace Is a Stool Softener, Not a Stimulant
The active ingredient in Colace—docusate sodium—is not a stimulant but a stool softening laxative that allows water and fats to enter the stool, which helps to hydrate and soften the stool, making natural defecation more comfortable.
Colace Clear Soft Gels Provide a Dye-Free, Gluten-Free Option
For those who want to avoid dye, or who prefer gluten‑free products, Colace Clear® Soft Gels provide gentle, dependable relief from occasional constipation. This Colace product is a stool softener, and does not contain a stimulant laxative.
Peri-Colace Contains a Stool Softener and a Stimulant Laxative
The active ingredients in Peri-Colace are docusate sodium, a stool softener, and standardized senna concentrate, a stimulant laxative. Recommend Peri-Colace to your patients who require more than just a stool softener. (Learn more about senna in laxatives.)
- Do not use laxative products for longer than 1 week unless told to do so by a doctor.
- Do not use if you are presently taking mineral oil unless told to do so by a doctor.
- Ask a doctor before use if you have:
- Stomach pain
- Noticed a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts over two weeks
- Stop use and ask a doctor if you have rectal bleeding or fail to have a bowel movement after use of a laxative. These could be signs of a serious condition.
- If pregnant or breastfeeding, ask a health professional before use.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.